Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love, Me

Ooh Valentine's Day. As Hallmark fabricated as it may be, I adore this holiday. Its not so much that I expect grand romantic gestures, but more the giddiness of the whole day - complete with all the chocolates I can consume (which is probably the source of my giddiness). And, who doesn't love a good prix fixe meal? Dessert included? Yes please!

I think its fairly accurate to say most girls love Valentines Day. Or, at least enjoy being told they are adored and admired by someone they care for. If you're not one of these people, perhaps you're simply not admitting it, all the while secretly wishing someone special would send flowers or a sweet card.

I remember the V-Day when I was a senior in high school. My sister was on the couch with her Dominos pizza while I primped to go out with my "very serious" high school boyfriend. I told her, with all the authority of a 17 year old, "You're single. This holiday doesn't really apply to you." Talk about arrogant big sister moments! I'm not sure she's ever fully forgiven me for so candidly pointing out her singleness. Sorry Squirt!

Earlier this week, I was beginning to feel the karma of that particular comment. This year, the holiday "doesn't apply" to me. No doubt about it, I would love to be wooed with flowers and a box of chocolates or maybe some sort of sour gummy candy, but alas I will settle for a card from Dad. (which I always love, don't get me wrong!)


I dutifully sent cards to all my friends and family members, but quite frankly- I'm not feeling the "love." While this was moderately depressing at first, I think I've gained a new perspective. Instead of wishing for someone else to say "Be Mine," I am saying "Love, Me." I intend on doing this in the form of a good bottle of wine, my own pizza, a girly movie, and a freezer full of frozen mini-Snickers. Who's jealous?

I feel peachy about this. I realized, I am happy just to be happy. I have amazing friends, a loving family, a job that pays, and some fabulous shoes to cap it all off. Its a warming thing to look up one day and find that right now, life is simply good. Other than the occasional lonely moment that comes with being single, I am perfectly content - flowers and chocolate be damned. There's no doubt Mr. Right will come along soon, but until I find him, it's just me and my wine.

Happy Valentine's Day to ME, from ME!!

Hallmark, where's your card for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment