Thursday, February 18, 2010

Battle of the Sexes: Furniture

This past November, the hub and I jumped on the new homeownership bandwagon and purchased our very first home. Honestly, I was a tad worried when we first started searching that we wouldn't agree on basic requirements: location, size, etc. But...I was completely wrong. From number of bedrooms to neighborhoods, we were totally insync. The perfect house came along rather quickly and before we knew it, it was moving day. We had amazing luck and didn't encounter any of the nightmarish scenarios that often accompany purchasing a home.

But alas, life can't run THAT smoothly, can it? Once all the boxes were unpacked and the dust settled, it became clear we were sorely lacking in the furniture department. You see, we moved from a 2/2 apartment with one living space to a 3/2 house with two living and two dining spaces. This equals insufficient furniture in my mind!

I brought this to Mr. Rabbit's attention and he responded, quite confidently I might add, that he viewed our new open living situation as, "more space for the dogs to run around." I love my dogs to death, but no.....our home was not going to double as a doggie playground.
When broaching the idea of new furniture to fill the empty void that was now our living room, he suggested getting "nice" folding chairs and plastic bins with drawers. The man is efficient, I'll give him that. Obviously, this was not an acceptable compromise pour moi (if you can even call plastic furniture a compromise).

Luckily, for the sake of our marriage, my parents offered to buy us a new couch as part of a belated wedding present. Soooo on Tuesday, our FABULOSO new couch arrived to go along with our (previously purchased, non-plastic) new chairs. I'm totally in love with it and can't wait to find some equally wonderful accessories to compliment it. My husband's response: "I guess I understand why we need furniture there but I really liked how open it all was."

Baby steps people, baby steps.



Handcrafted sofa with hardwood frame and shiny bronze fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment